Coronavirus (Covid-19) Updates
06 May 20
The health and well-being of our entire population — faculty, staff, students and especially patients — is incredibly important to us. Due to the national emergency regarding the 2019 novel coronavirus, which is responsible for COVID-19, we would like to share with our our constituencies the following:
Patients: All clinical operations, inclusive of the Norris Dental Science Center and community clinics affiliated with Ostrow/USC, are suspended until further notice.
Urgent Care Patients: If you are experiencing dental pain and believe you’re experiencing a dental emergency, please call (213) 740-2805.
UPON RETURNING TO OUR PATIENT CARE FACILITIES, patients are expected to follow new safety protocols to ensure the safety of our entire community. Learn more below:
Last Updated: July 31, 2020
FOR FACULTY, STAFF AND STUDENTS
Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry
Faculty, Staff and Students: Effective Monday, March 23, the Norris Dental Science Center will be closed to all students, residents, faculty and staff. All card-control access points will be disabled to all but a few research personnel, Marshell Miller-Barber (Facilities Manager) and Jill Yoshimi (Chief Operations Officer). If you need emergency access, please send a request to Marshell Miller-Barber at firstname.lastname@example.org or Jill Yoshimi at email@example.com. Do not contact DPS for access – their focus at this time is on emergencies only.
Faculty and Students: Given the ongoing access restriction to Norris, faculty should continue to use online platforms to teach remotely. If you need assistance setting up your device, please contact Ostrow’s Information Technology team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Faculty and Staff: Mailings and deliveries to the Norris Dental Science Center will also be restricted at this time. Individual departments should stop ordering any new materials or supplies to avoid delivery issues and unnecessary losses.
Students: Clinical Affairs will cancel all DDS clinical appointments. If your patient contacts you, please inform them that their appointment will be rescheduled as soon as possible and that they will hear from the school shortly.
Students: All Sim Lab modules will be rescheduled and all other coursework will move online. You are requested not to report to the Norris Dental Science Center or any other USC Dentistry affiliated locations until Dean Avishai Sadan communicates otherwise.
Faculty: Our online didactic courses will continue as scheduled. The Office of Academic Affairs will provide additional specific instructions.
Faculty and Staff: Although all USC Libraries are closed until further notice, all digital library collections, services and programs that support remote teaching and learning remain available online. For more information, visit the USC Libraries Updates Page.
Faculty and Staff: Unless notified specifically by your division chair or manager, you do not have to report to your workplace until further notice. Please direct any questions to your division chair or manager.
USC Chan Division of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy
- Effective Monday, March 23, the USC Chan Division of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy — including CHP, HRA and CSC — will be closed to all students, post-docs, residents, faculty and staff. All card-control access points will be disabled to all but a few essential research and clinical personnel (previously approved), as well as Jackie Mardirossian (Facilities Manager) and Joseph Gonzalez (MIS Manager). If you need emergency access, please send a request to Jackie Mardirossian. Do not contact DPS for access – their focus at this time is on emergencies only.
- Given the ongoing access restriction to USC Chan, faculty should continue to use online platforms to teach remotely. If you need assistance setting up your device, please contact USC Chan’s Information Technology team at IT@chan.usc.edu.
- Mailings and deliveries to USC Chan will also be restricted at this time. Orders that have already been placed and are in the fulfillment process, can still be delivered for Jackie Mardirossian to accept on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Individuals should stop ordering any new materials or supplies to avoid delivery issues and unnecessary losses. Please contact Sonia DeMesa if there is anything urgently needed to be ordered and delivered to your home.
USC Division of Biokinesiology and Physical Therapy
- Effective Monday, March 23, 2020, the University is shutting down the CHP building. All card-controlled access points will be disabled to all but a few essential research and technical personnel (previously approved). If you need emergency access to the building, please contact Lydia Vazquez. Do not contact DPS for access – their focus at this time is on emergencies only.
- All faculty, staff and students should continue to work from home until further notice. If you need technical assistance, please contact the Division’s IT support staff (email@example.com).
For University updates on the coronavirus, please visit its Coronavirus (COVID-1) information page.
You can also find additional information about COVID-19 precautions from the Centers of Disease Control.
MOST OF MY — AND MY PARENTS’ — LIFE HAS BEEN ABOUT SERVING OTHERS. In Indian Sikh culture, we call it Seva, which means “selfless service.” Throughout the years of my volunteer experiences in the United States and abroad, I have mostly served children. People often ask me why service is so important to me. For […]
USC researchers probe the world of heart progenitor cells, with an eye on potential treatments to regrow heart tissue. HEARTS ARE TOUGH ORGANS. Over the course of a lifetime, they beat ever second of every day, keeping the entire body nourished with life-giving blood. But, even with all that stamina, heart tissue lacks the ability […]
USC researchers are looking for ways to create a less painful injection for kids at the dentist. It takes a collaborative, interdisciplinary team to get the research done. IN DENTISTRY, injecting local anesthetic represents the greatest source of fear and anxiety, especially in children. Alleviating that injection pain is one of the main struggles in […]
The prestigious designation puts him in the company of fewer than 20 faculty members across USC. ASSOCIATE DEAN OF RESEARCH Yang Chai PhD ’91, DDS ’96 has been appointed a University Professor, making history as Ostrow’s first faculty member to achieve such distinction. The designation, held by fewer than 20 other faculty members across the university, […]
Students talked, we listened, providing them a one-year subscription to a popular online medical learning service. EARLY IN THEIR DENTAL SCHOOL DAYS, while preparing for exams, Ashley Mach DDS ’21 and Aimi Nguyen DDS ’20 would often find themselves scouring YouTube for videos to supplement what they had been learning in their problem-based learning (PBL) […]