USC University of Southern California

Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC

Financial Aid

Advanced Specialty Certificate Programs

A dental education is a significant financial investment. The Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC is committed to ensuring that all eligible students have access to the financial aid programs they need to achieve their educational goals.

Once you have submitted your application to the certificate program of your choice, you may begin the financial aid application process.

If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident:

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Some helpful information for completing FAFSA:

  • Be sure to note the most current deadlines for submission.
  • Use your best estimate of your income for the previous calendar year.
  • USC’s Federal School Code is 001328.
  • If you wish to be considered for the Health Professions Student Loan Program (HPSL), complete the parental section of FAFSA.

If you are an international student:

Financial Aid for International Students

New repayment options for federal student loans have made financial aid repayment easier. Income-Based Repayment, unlike traditional payment plans, takes your income and family size into account when your payment amount is calculated. This helps ensure repayment amounts will be reasonable, no matter what life after graduation may bring. Income-Based Repayment is available for new and existing federal student loans.

Frequently Asked Questions

How will I know if I need to submit any additional documents to complete my financial aid application?

Please visit Financial Aid Summary and Tasks (FAST) to determine whether any additional documents are required:

I’ve applied for financial aid. What’s my status?

You can determine your application status by visiting Financial Aid Summary and Tasks (FAST):

How do I apply for the Federal Direct Stafford Loan and/or the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?

Directions to apply for the Federal Direct Stafford Loan and/or the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan can be found at

Can I receive an in-school deferment for my prior student loans?

USC transmits enrollment status on a scheduled basis to the National Student Clearinghouse. Lenders/servicers are expected to access enrollment information from the Clearinghouse on a periodic basis, therefore automatically granting you an in-school deferment. But it is your responsibility to respond to lenders/servicers concerning any loan status change.

How can I find out who my federal student loan lenders/servicers are and how much debt I have outstanding?

The National Student Loan Data System for Students (NSLDS) will capture federal student loan balances and lenders/servicers. Please note that it will not report the Health Professions Student Loan Program (HPSL) nor private, non-federal educational loan programs. To capture HSPL and/or private loan information, you may request your credit report at