USC University of Southern California

Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC

Thank you for your patience and hard work to date

Dear Ostrow Community:

It’s been an unusual week to say the least, and I’ve had time to reflect and appreciate our great community, our family.

USC and Ostrow had to quickly make radical changes to adapt to this pandemic, and I sincerely appreciate the efforts you have all made to ensure we were successful to date. Our faculty, student and staff leaders have been meeting with me regularly (via Zoom, email, phone, etc.), and I’m grateful for the connectivity and cooperation of our entire community during this time.

We are doing everything we can to safeguard our community while keeping abreast of recommendations communicated by the University, the Centers for Disease Control as well as our respective professional organizations and accrediting agencies. Additionally, I am regularly connecting with Deans from other USC schools and schools nationwide to share best practices and news about how this pause in our operations will affect any long-term efforts.

We are a working community of nearly 18,000 people between faculty, staff, students, and alumni. I am in awe at the stories I’m reading and learning about: Volunteers helping to get food and supplies to those in need; teams of faculty and staff ensuring students continue to receive the learning requirements to progress; faculty and alumni crews working at L.A. County Hospital to provide emergency dental and medical treatments to our surrounding community. These are just a few of the ways WE are making an impact. Thank you.

I encourage you to continue communicating with your Chairs, Program directors, and managers– this keeps information moving. In addition, check your email regularly. Whether it be from University leadership or myself, we are attempting to maintain a proactive information flow. Lastly, the University – and the academic units – are maintaining an online site that keeps us advised of the latest news and information.

Thank you again for your cooperation and commitment. I know I cannot ease the uncertainty, but I hope to provide a calming perspective that we are working together to get through this pandemic and find solutions to the new challenges we face.

Thank you, be safe, and Fight On!

Avishai

Avishai Sadan, DMD, MBA
Dean G. Donald and Marian James Montgomery
Professor of Dentistry