Dental Hygiene Program
Are you ready to apply to the Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry’s Dental Hygiene Program? Applicants must have completed prerequisite coursework and meet other criteria in order to begin the Dental Hygiene program.
Completion of the Dental Hygiene prerequisites and USC General Education courses must be completed or near completion at the time of application.
NOTE: A limited number of prerequisite and General Education requirements may be in progress at the time of application.
Dental Hygiene Prerequisite Coursework
- General Chemistry and Lab (1 year = 2 semesters/3 quarters)
- English Composition (1 year = 2 semesters/3 quarters)
- General Anatomy and Lab (1 semester/2 quarters)
- General Biology and Lab (1 semester/2 quarters)
- General Psychology (1 semester/2 quarters)
- Introduction to Sociology (1 semester/2 quarters)
- Introduction to Speech (1 semester/2 quarters)
- General Nutrition (1 semester/2 quarters)
- General Physiology (1 semester/2 quarters)
- General Microbiology (1 semester/2 quarters)
USC General Education Coursework
At least one course in each of the USC general education categories I, II, III, and V and one course to fulfill the diversity and lower-division writing requirement must be completed or in progress by the time of application.
To confirm transfer courses, refer to the Unofficial Articulation Histories and Old Articulation Agreements website: https://camel2.usc.edu/articagrmt/artic_hist_range.aspx
- Category I (1 course to complete the category)
- Category II (1 course to complete the category)
- Category III (1 course to complete the category)
- Category IV (To be completed during the program)
- Category V (1 course to complete the category)
- Category VI (To be completed during the program)
- Diversity (1 course to complete the category)
- Lower Division Writing (1 course to complete the category)
- Upper Division Writing (To be completed during the program)
- All prerequisite coursework taken at universities other than USC must be equivalent in content to the required USC course in order to be transferable.
- A limited amount of prerequisite coursework may be in progress at the time of the application. However, prerequisite coursework must be completed before an applicant begins the Dental Hygiene program.
- USC requires a minimum of three years of high school math, including advanced algebra with a grade of C or better or intermediate algebra at the college level with a grade of C or better.
- The Dental Hygiene program has no foreign language requirement.
- All preparatory coursework must have been taken from an accredited college or university in the United States. No foreign coursework will be accepted.
- Grades of C- or lower are NOT acceptable in fulfillment of prerequisite courses. Grades of pass/no pass also are not acceptable.
- Coursework from schools that offer accelerated programs in the sciences is generally not acceptable. Most coursework from four-year institutions are transferable.
- The university may accept online coursework to satisfy general education and/or prerequisite coursework. However, prerequisite science coursework which requires a lab may not be
- Technically or vocationally related courses will NOT be accepted. Examples of unacceptable courses are dental assisting courses, dental technology courses, secretarial science, or any other technically or vocationally related courses.
- The Dental Hygiene curriculum begins in August of the junior year upon approval.
- Limited enrollment in USC general education coursework may be completed during the summer preceding enrollment in the dental hygiene curriculum.
- In all cases, acceptance to the Dental Hygiene program requires that the candidate meet all academic requirements to be admitted as a transfer student to the University.
Contact us if you have questions about the Dental Hygiene admission requirements:
Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC
Office of Admissions
925 West 34th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0641